City of Middleton Trick or Treating
City of Middleton trick-or-treating hours are set for 5pm to 8pm on Thursday, October 31st, 2019. The Middleton Police Department encourages safety & supervision during the annual trick-or-treating season. It is especially important for parents to adhere to a few safety rules for their children when they are trick-or-treating:
• ONLY go to homes with porch lights on
• Know your kids route
• Take a flashlight
• Be sure costumes, shoes & treat bags are safe
• Remind kids not to enter strangers' homes or cars
• Set rules about not eating treats until kids get home & be sure to inspect all treats before allowing kids to eat them
• Candy that has been opened should be thrown away & any homemade treats or fruit should be inspected closely
• Remember drivers have a hard time seeing people, especially at dusk
• Never cross the street from between parked cars
• Watch open flames from jack -o-lanterns as they can catch costumes & long wigs on fire
• Make sure that fake knives, swords & guns are made from cardboard or other flexible materials to avoid accidental injury or worse, have them mistaken for the real thing!
MAKE YOUR HOME SAFE FOR TRICK OR TREATERS
It is also important to ensure that your home is safe & accessible to trick-or-treaters. As adults, there are some very simple things we can do to make the evening safe everyone:
• Turn on your porch light if you have treats to offer
• Move lit jack-o-lanterns off the porch where kids get bunched up if they are trick-or-treating in groups
• Remove objects from your yard that might present a hazard
• Drive extra careful all evening. You never know what creature may suddenly cross your path!
• Report any suspicious or criminal activity to the police by calling or sending a text to 608-824-7300 for non-emergencies or 911 for in-progress emergencies
MESSAGE ABOUT SEX OFFENDERS
Registered sex offenders under Active Community Supervision by the Wisconsin Department of Corrections are prohibited from participating in Halloween activities. If you believe a registered sex offender, who is under Active Community Supervision according to https://appsdoc.wi.gov/public, is participating in Halloween activities you can report the information to the SAFE tip hotline at 1-877-234-0085 which is answered Monday through Friday between 7:45 AM and 4:30 PM. If there is immediate danger to a child, yourself or others, you should call 911. Registered sex offenders having Terminated status are not on state supervision and are therefore not subject to this restriction.