There are many resources available to understand best practices in recycling along with the accomplishments and abilities of the Middleton Recycling Center. For more information, explore the "Recycling" subpage.
- Trash and Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Middleton Recycling Center
- Recycling Center Virtual Tour
- Remodel or Demolition? Call Habitat ReStore first! They will schedule a walk through and haul away any sellable items for FREE. Habitat ReStore can carefully remove or pick up kitchen cabinets, appliances, bathroom vanities, fixtures, doors and other items before a remodel or demolition. All work is done by a Contractor Support Services Manager and a small, skilled team of volunteers. Donors receive a tax receipt for each donation. Contact Sean Bakken at 608-235.9912 or visit email@example.com.
Reduction of Waste and Consumption
We can't reach our sustainability goals without reducing our waste, and the most effective way to do this is by reducing our consumption. Overproduction and overconsumption in the United States are destroying the planet and communities. These resources provide a start to thinking more critically about what and how we consume, along with easy fixes to reduce consumption.
- Catalog Choice - Sign up to reduce unnecessary junk mail and clutter
- Reducing and Reusing Basics - Save energy, money, and the environment by reducing overall consumption, but especially consumption of new and/or disposable items
- Focus on Energy - Wisconsin's statewide energy efficiency and renewable resource program funded by the state's investor-owned energy utilities and participating municipal and electric cooperative utilities. Focus on Energy works with eligible Wisconsin residents and businesses to install cost-effective energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. Focus on Energy information, resources and financial incentives help to implement projects that otherwise would not be completed. Its efforts help Wisconsin residents and businesses manage rising energy costs, promote in-state economic development, protect our environment and control Wisconsin's growing demand for electricity and natural gas.
Switching to solar power for your home has immense benefits. The use of renewable energy positively impacts the planet and your community, while also decreasing your personal energy costs. In 2021 and 2022, "homeowners can receive a Federal Investment Tax Credit for 26% of the cost of their system." Participating in a solar group buy will also reduce the initial cost of putting solar on your home.
Solar Group Buys for 2021:
- MadiSUN Solar Energy Program - The group buy involves homeowners purchasing solar power as a community, which lowers the base costs for each participant.
- Legacy Solar Co-op - Learn more about the Dane County solar group buy and complete a solar assessment form to have solar installed on your home within the next year.
See how much electricity your home could generate!
- Check out Project Sunroof to find out the solar savings potential of your home.
Conservation of Natural Resources
- Water Conservation Programs
- Conservancy Lands and Trails
- "15 Ways You Can Conserve Water at Home" - Chariot Energy
Electric yard and power equipment:
- EGO - Also available at ACE Hardware
- Makita - Also available at Home Depot
- RYOBI - Also available at Home Depot
- DEWALT - Also available at Home Depot
- Greenworks - Also available at Home Depot
Used electric vehicles:
- CarMax - Variety of used electric car brands
- Carvana - Variety of used electric car brands
- CarGurus - Variety of used electric car brands
- Edmunds - Variety of used electric car, truck, and SUV brands
New electric vehicles:
- Hybrid/EV Buying Guide - Consumer Reports
- "Best Electric Cars of 2021 and 2022" - Edmunds
- "Best Electric Cars for 2021" - Forbes Wheels