Individuals may appear either by video or by phone using Zoom, which is a remote conferencing service.
Zoom meeting login information for Initial Appearances follows below. The court clerks will initiate the Zoom meeting at 5:00pm for sign in. Court will begin at 5:30pm with opening remarks, and defendants will be called in the order received during sign-in. Each participant will be called on individually to enter a plea and make any statements after which the court will enter a judgement. For a description of pleas, click here.
To plea not guilty and meet with city’s prosecuting attorney:
If you intend to plea not guilty, your case will be set for a pre-trial conference with the city prosecuting attorney at a future date. If you enter a plea of not guilty prior to your court date, then you do not need to appear in-person or virtually on your court date. Your plea must be in writing and received prior to your scheduled initial appearance. You must include the following information with your written plea: your name, current mailing address, current telephone number, citation number, and declaration of your not guilty plea, or you may use this form. You may enter a not guilty plea by mail, in-person using the drop-box in the court building foyer, by fax at (608) 833-9995, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, your case will be scheduled for a Pre-trial Conference with the city prosecuting attorney. See Pre-Trial Conferences for more information.
Instructions to Appear by Video Using a Computer:
Zoom provides two options to join by computer: (1) download the Zoom app to your computer, or (2) open Zoom in a browser window. If you do not want to download the app to your computer, select option 2.
To appear by video using a computer, you will need a web camera and microphone connected to your computer. If you do not have a microphone, do not join by computer rather use the instructions provided below to join by phone. If you have a microphone connected to your computer, audio will be provided through your computer. Do not also join by phone. Doing so will create audio feedback.
- Click on the meeting link above. OR, open a browser window and enter zoom.us in the URL field. Click "Join a Meeting"
- Enter the "Meeting ID" shown above.
- Enter the "Meeting Password" shown above.
Click here for a help guide.
Instructions to Appear by Video Using a Smart Phone:
Be sure to download the app well before the scheduled court hearing. In addition, be sure your phone is charged or plugged in because using Zoom will significantly drain the phone’s battery life.
- Download the free Zoom Cloud Meetings app to your smart phone.
- Click "Join a Meeting".
- Enter the "Meeting ID": 829 6515 8235
- Enter the "Meeting Password": MuniCourt
Instructions to Appear by Telephone (no videoconferencing):
Use this option if you do not have a computer or smart phone with a web camera & microphone . Note: If you logged into Zoom using your computer and your computer has a microphone, your computer will provide audio. You do not need to follow the instructions below to dial in by telephone.
- Call this number: 1-312-626-6799
- Enter the "Meeting ID": 883 8218 9477
- Enter the password: 574910995
- Note: Press "*6" to mute/unmute yourself when called upon. In addition, you are unable to use the chat feature. If you plan to plea "not guilty", please state so after opening remarks.
If the phone number above does not work, try one of the following numbers by location:
- +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
- +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
- +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
- +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
- +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
- +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver)
- 833 548 0282 US Toll-free
- 877 853 5257 US Toll-free
- 888 475 4499 US Toll-free
- 833 548 0276 US Toll-free