NOTICE! The Middleton Recycling Center is closed this Saturday, to observe the July 4th Holiday. The center will reopen the following Saturday and resume its normal hours: 8:00am - 12:00pm on Saturday mornings. The center remains closed on Wednesdays.
Please read the information below regarding limited service offerings due to COVID-19. This page will be updated as offerings at the center change.
Special notes during initial limited operations:
1. Thank you for your patience, and for storing recyclables at your home, while we were temporarily closed due to the pandemic. The Middleton Recycling Center will open on Saturday, May 16 with limited operations.
2. Visitors to the Recycling Center are asked to wear a mask covering their nose and mouth while in the center. Middleton staff will also be wearing a mask.
3. On Saturday June 6, the Middleton Recycling Center began collecting electronics that require a fee including TVs, dehumidifiers, microwaves, window A/C units, CRT monitors, dorm size refrigerators, all-in-one computers, and water coolers. The fees are the same as before and are listed on the recycling website and at the recycling center. Payment of fees is by exact cash or check only, no credit cards. Staff at the recycling center will give instructions when you arrive on how to pay your fee. Please be aware that staff will not be able to assist in unloading electronic items and that only two vehicles will be allowed in the recycling center at the same time. Also, please remember to wear a mask.
4. Even with limited operations, we anticipate there may be periods with long lines and wait times. Please plan accordingly, and please be patient. If we can’t operate safely, we can’t remain open.
5. Up to two vehicles (preferably one) may be allowed into the building at one time. This is intended to help achieve social distancing for public health. Please remain at least 6 feet from others (including staff) while using the center.
6. Staff at the Middleton Recycling Center are not able to assist residents in unloading recyclables. Customers are expected to place their materials in the proper receptacle and to help keep the center neat. Due to risk of infection, staff cannot reposition recyclable materials inefficiently placed in dumpsters. Inefficient dumpster use may require closing early to allow changing of dumpsters, and will raise expenses.
7. Prior to closing time, staff will set a sign behind the last vehicle that will be allowed in for the day. Others waiting in line will need to return another day.
The Middleton Recycling Center (MRC) is open year-round on Saturday mornings (excluding major holidays) from 8am to noon at 4330 Parmenter Street (the new Municipal Operations Center).
Staff at the Middleton Recycling Center are not able to assist residents in unloading recyclables. Unless specified, there is no cost to recycle the items below. For items requiring payment, we will accept cash, check, credit or debit cards.
City of Middleton residents are able to recycle:
Electronics- No charge (except as noted below) for all types of computers, cell phones, iPods, tablets, radios, wires, toasters, fans, vacuums (bags removed), hairdryers, etc.
$40 each- TVs over 27" (no broken TVs will be accepted)
$20 each- TVs 27" and smaller (no broken TVs will be accepted), fridges (dorm size or smaller), window A/C units, dehumidifiers, water coolers.
$10 each- CRT (cathode ray tube) computer monitors.
$5 each- microwaves
*Please note that the following electronic materials are NOT ACCEPTED at the Recycling Center: smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; broken or disassembled TVs and CRT monitors; electric heaters with oil thermostats; ballasts with PBBs; CFLs and fluorescent tubes (lightbulbs).
Batteries- Rechargeable only. 1$/lb fee.
NOT ACCEPTED: alkaline, zinc, and button batteries.
Printer Cartridges and Toner
Block Styrofoam (#6)- Clean packaging materials used to protect computers, electronics, and other items during shipping, and washed food packaging. Please remove all tape and labels before recycling.
NOT ACCEPTED: #4 polyethylene Styrofoam, foam insulation board or packing material, packing peanuts, #6 Styrofoam with food contamination.
Textiles- clothing, fabric, sleeping bags, curtains, etc. (clean and in good condition).
Shoes in good condition.
Raw Wood- Pallets, plywood, and non- engineered wood.
NOT ACCEPTED: particle board; treated, painted or stained wood; engineered wood.
Cardboard- large items like boxes that won’t fit in blue bin for curbside pick-up. Corrugated cardboard boxes must be flattened.
NOT ACCEPTED: paper or newspaper, cardboard tubes, cardboard packing materials.
Books- in good condition, without water damage or mold. No textbooks, encyclopedias, or dictionaries.
Durable Medical Equipment- wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, etc.
Small Items- The City will recycle the following small items through Terracycle:
Brita® brand products including pitchers, dispensers, bottles, faucet systems, filters and filter packaging (PUR water filters no longer accepted)
Burts Bees products
Colgate brand oral care products including toothpaste tubes and caps, toothbrushes (only Colgate brand), toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging (only Colgate brand), floss containers (only Colgate brand)
Tom’s of Maine natural care products including toothpaste tubes (only Tom’s brand), toothbrushes (only Tom’s brand), floss containers (only Tom’s brand), mouthwash bottles (only Tom’s brand), soap packaging (only Tom’s brand), antiperspirant/deodorant containers (only Tom’s brand).
Solo® brand cups
WRAP Recycling- plastic retail bags, food storage bags (sandwich and Ziploc), produce bags (fruit and vegetable), dry cleaning bags, case wrap, bread bags, air pillow packaging, paper products wrap.
NOT ACCEPTED: non-transparent plastic bags such as salt, frozen food, fertilizer, and pesticides; shower curtains; tarps; bubble wrap.
Oil & Filters- just outside the recycling center, open at all times.
Small Engines- lawnmowers, weed trimmers, snowblowers. All small engines must be drained of gas and oil.
Middleton Recycling Center FreeCycle- The recycling center has an area designated for reusable items. Please make sure that these items are in good condition. See attendant before dropping off or picking up items. Must sign waiver.
A list of general items that the Middleton Recycling Center will NOT ACCEPT- broken or disassembled TVs and CRT monitors; smoke and CO detectors; ballasts with PBBs; electric heaters with oil thermostats; alkaline, zinc, and button batteries; CFLs and fluorescent tubes (lightbulbs); treated, painted, stained, or engineered wood; propane cylinders and tanks; furniture; mattresses; windows or other glass items; large plastic items such as child car seats, play slides, lawn furniture; cardboard tubes and other cardboard packing materials; packing peanuts and foam packing materials; non-transparent plastic bags such as salt, frozen food, fertilizer and pesticide bags; plastic items such as shower curtains, tarps, and bubble wrap; paint, chemicals, antifreeze, or cleaning products.
The City of Middleton has partnered with leading local and national recycling companies to ensure responsible and ethical disposal of all recyclable materials. Prices may fluctuate due to market conditions. The City hopes to collect additional items for recycling as options become available.
For recycling options of materials not listed above, please consult the City’s Trash & Recycling Guide.
Better yet, if you have a quality item please consider making it available to others for reuse, instead of throwing away or recycling it. Many local charities, organizations and websites dedicated to reuse of quality items are listed on page 10 of the City’s Trash & Recycling Guide. For instance, if you have quality construction materials consider donating them to Habitat for Humanity. Other items can be reused simply by listing them on a free web service such as www.FreeCycle.org, www.MadisonStuffExchange.com, or Craigslist.org. If listing something on a web site, note that it will help to include a photo or two of the item you’re making available.
For additional questions, please contact: .
The Middleton Recycling Center (telephones only answered during open hours) at (608) 712-2057; or
Kelly Hilyard, Sustainability Coordinator, via Email or at (608) 821-8362.