Sidewalk Maintenance Program
Sidewalk Marking Guide
White Dot: Concrete Raising
White Check Mark: Horizontal Saw Cut
Pink Dot: Removal and Replacement
Double Pink Dot: City terrace tree caused damage City pays 50% of the cost.
2020 Sidewalk Program
Concrete Service Specialists inform us they will be in town on May 27th to start the restoration process.
The Bids for the 2021 Sidewalk Maintenance Program has been accepted by the Common Council.
They have been awarded to:
Removals and Replacement:
Fahrner Asphalt Coatings, the 2021 cost for replacement is $8.68 per square foot.
They will start work on July 5, 2021.
Trip Hazard Removals:
Universal Concrete Grinding, the 2021 cost for hazard removal is $11.16 per linear foot.
They will start work on June 11, 2021 on the east end of University Ave working southward.
No Contract for 2021
Helping Maintain Our Local Sidewalks
Property owners are the maintaining authority of the sidewalk adjacent to their property. To assist property owners with correction of structural deficiencies in concrete, the City of Middleton has an ongoing sidewalk maintenance program which covers about 1/8th of the city’s limits each year. What this means is that about every eight years city engineering technicians will be going through each neighborhood to assess the overall condition of sidewalks, sidewalk ramps and driveway aprons to determine if they are in need of rehabilitation or replacement. The City will also correct significant structural deficiencies in concrete outside of the area scheduled for annual maintenance work, as requested by the property owners or concerned citizens.
Pertinent Statute, Ordinances, Policies & Standards
- Statute 66.0907 – Requirements to maintain sidewalk and assessment of costs
- Policy – Assessment for maintenance of sidewalks / driveways
- Ordinance section 8.02 – Street and sidewalk grades
- Ordinance section 8.03 – Sidewalk construction and repair
- Ordinance section 8.04 – Driveways
- Ordinance section 8.05 – Street and sidewalk excavations and openings
- Ordinance section 8.06 – Obstructions and encroachments
- Ordinance section 8.07 – Snow and ice removal
- Ordinance section 8.09 – Emergency powers
- Ordinance section 20.05(2) – Trimming trees and shrubs
- Standard Specifications, Section 609 – Concrete construction
- Standard Detail Drawing 600-03 – Residential driveway apron
- Standard Detail Drawing 600-04 – Commercial driveway apron