Customer Services

Initiating / Cancelling Service

Customers need to contact Utility Billing to start, transfer, or cancel utility services with the City of Middleton.

  • New Property Owners - Call (608) 821-8370 to confirm that we have received the correct information from the Title Company. Please read our Welcome Letter and fill out the New Owner Information Form to activate your account.
  • Tenants - To begin service, please complete the Owner / Tenant Agreement Form and submit to Utility Billing with both the signatures of the property owner and the tenant.
  • To End Service - It is encouraged for the tenant to call when they are moving from their residence and request a final read.

Change of Address

To inform us about a change of billing address, please complete the Change of Address Form or call Utility Billing at (608) 821-8370. For example, if you are a winter vacationer and would like your bills to be delivered to your vacation address, please fill out the Change of Address Form.

Related Resources

Thank you for your assistance in keeping your water billing records current.